Sorry I was muted……
Scribed by Hawkeye
Public Health warning I: when things get to such an extreme, you either laugh or cry. I choose the former, I hope you do too. If not, do not read on, this is not for you………………..
For anyone working from home, or indeed just socialising regularly on-line, the phrase “sorry I was muted” will live to define 2020!
Week six without hashing and with the price of petrol still well above zero, I have reflected that my life’s work is far from complete. Time to go on……
Hashing by design is a communal activity, so in extremis and in isolation the inveterate hasher may be feeling a little lost. So here’s a sideways glance at the world today……
- Last week of course was supposed to be the 40th London marathon with all the attendant fuss, for me despite the limitations of a covid-lockdown I marked the day/date in exactly the same way as I did for the 39th and 38th ….staring inanely at the TV all day from the sofa.
- It’s interesting to reflect that in 2019 if you managed to get clap once a week, it was a sign that you were going out too much, in 2020 it’s a sign that you’re not going out at all.
- Despite being more active on a what’s app group than I ever recall him being in real life, Pis’t’man Pat, PH3’s very own fridge magnate, must surely be busy working on the third instalment of ‘The Refrigerator Trilogy’. Finish it quick PP, my strawberry mivvy is starting to melt
- There has been much talk about how lockdown living resembles Groundhog Day, but for me it seems more like The Hobbit– it’s been a somewhat bucolic experience, everyone’s front garden looks fantastic and they are on good speaking terms with their neighbours, whilst at the same time I have a yearning to travel dogged by a morbid fear of what may lurk in those faraway lands.
- Our government has discovered that turkey is not just good for Christmas, apparently they have some PPE we can snaffle too. Eventually.
- Sorry John continues to hold out the promise of a 1900/100th summer BBQ – which sounds soooo appealing as a beacon on the horizon. I’m sure we can be totally ‘numerically relaxed’ and hopefully by July Quasimodo will have been able to ‘unfurlough’ the pixies that magically create the centenary t-shirts. Fingers crossed all.
- And finally it was pleasing to see TIFM in rude health. In the past he’s told me that back in the day he used to lie about his age to get served in a pub, somewhat ironically in a post-covid world, as an over 70yr old – he might have to do the same again!
So until next week, at the moment we seem to be into remote schooling, remote sport, a remote Prime Minister, with a remote chance of returning to normality. Let’s hope that changes sometime soon. Stay safe, stay sane and hash alone. On on while in in.
Public Health warning II: this is written more for my sanity than yours. If you are missing a regular run report, just go to the PH3 iPlayer at https://ph3.org.uk/ where into the Search box you can add any hash number (below 1884), a venue, a hare, a hasher, you name it – and receive a blast from the PH3 past!